Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Accidentally sold out. And purposefully moved in.

I managed to be filmed for MTV last night. Complete accident.

I went to a secret show for the Gossip, a band I enjoy but also take great pleasure in assaulting with insult. I had actually been more psyched for Mika Miko, an adorably hip 5-piece all-girl fun-punk band that i've written more than once about for the LA Rec. Chris Z. can't get enough of those ladies. Neither can I.

ANYWAYS... I went to The Smell, a hole in the wall downtown in a terrifying neighborhood that definitely lives up to it's name, and got in for free by namedropping the Record and Michelle Suarez (the guitarist for Mika Miko). As soon as I walked in I was assaulted with noise that I assumed immediately was just the remnant sound of a DIY-noise group off in the distance. Nope. It was the remnant noise of a guy onstage making earsplitting noise. No exaggeration whatsoever, he had a box with knobs and plugs and it JUST MADE NOISE. No rhythms, no melodies, no notes at all. the squealing of a box, programmed to hate. The strange thing was that people seemed genuinely interested in this. Somehow I had stumbled into Plato's cave, and it was breaking my eardrums.

I should mention at this point that I kept my jacket on since I was afraid to leave it or anything else of value in my car. I was parked in the only lot left open and it was completely unattended, so i wasn't going to risk a wallet full of cash or a nice coat to the few savages I saw out and about.

Panther was the next band on, and I actually had fun listening to them. Despite constant sound problems and a few song-ending fuckups, they kept their spirits up and grooved rather hard. I should also mention I was trying not to stare at Gossip drummer Hannah Blilie (also the twin sister of Blood Brothers' vocalist Jordan Blilie, there was a very obvious resemblance) who just looks really fucking cool.


Mika Miko is really too damn fun to be as local and approachable as they are. I say approachable in the figurative sense, because i'm certainly not about to approach them (what the fuck would I say?). Anyways, they put on a hell of a show. A helluva show. I don't suggest listening to recordings of them, because they always put the guitars too low. But in a live setting, the shit gets hectic. wicked hectic.

On a related note, an old man with a hideous toupee (the thing covered his ears) came into the office today to give us a copy of the Union that he had scribbled on. He scribbled next to the staff box, with arrows pointing to six editors' names, "ALL OF YOU MUST STOP YOUR HORRIBLE MIND POLLUTING NEWS WITH FILTHY WORDS!!!!!!" And "REPORT WITH UNFILTHY RESPECTFUL LANGUAGE!" and then some bible shit. Also, Miles came up with a character called Retarded Mayor and it made me laugh all day. Seriously, fuckin' retarded mayor. too good.

So then, as the Gossip was setting up, I noticed someone with a huge camera. Huge as in two people must operate it. Hmm.. I thought. Maybe they're doing a live DVD or some extras for a new record. And then a man with one of those movie snap things jumped up on the stage. the snap thing said "MTV 52 Bands The Gossip/The Smell" and that's when I knew I was probably going to be on MTV.

The camera was pretty much all up in my christmas for the whole show. I was front and center and more than once found myself bumping into this thing. For some reason I felt obligated to rock harder than normal since it was on camera and I can safely say I left it all at the gig. I was a sweaty, moshed out pulp of kid afterwards. And it was super-cool. I did all the usual front-row fan stuff, including shouting the lyrics into the face of the singer and staring in awe when appropriate. I'm SO gonna be on MTV. You just wait.

Anyways, here's some photos of my new place, any y'all are welcome to come over for mini-housewarmings; since I won't be having a regular housewarming and there's no place for that many people to sit.






EDIT: Look close in that last photo. Yeah, that's the ocean. And i've just got like a ton of ocean. check it:

View Larger Map

3 comments:

Kiki Oaklawn said...

omg you dickhead, give me your house!

I can just SEE you making cocktails and writing there.

Matt Dupree said...

It's super neato. I love it.

Mike Guardabascio said...

jumped the shark with this new move. dick.